Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Is social media changing medicine?

Here is another interesting article found (by the CCSVI facebook folks) in the Huffington Post: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/riva-greenberg/are-doctors-losing-their_b_596060.html.

One of the observations in the article that particularly struck a chord with me was:
While physicians do not have the time to keep themselves up-to-date on every disease and condition, they can actually take advantage of their patients who are becoming knowledgeable on their specific condition. Patients sharing what they are learning from social media sites offers doctors an opportunity to be educated by their patients.
I am fortunate to have a GP who was quite interested in and supportive of my research into CCSVI.  I hope other medical professionals can begin to see their patients as partners in overcoming or living with health problems.

1 comment:

  1. I know a few doctors in Canada I would like to send this article to! My relationship with my GP is anything BUT a partnership. And to find a Neurologist open to the idea of being educated by a patient? If only it were that easy.

    ReplyDelete