Friday, May 13, 2011

Miracle or not?

In one TiMS thread, someone said:
I think the future may show that (multiple) treatments may stop/slow down the disease. For spms and ppms this would be good but no miracle.
To which I responded:
As an SPMSer, I take my miracles where I can get them. One year after treatment, my fatigue remains much better, balance much better, mobility a bit better, bladder quite a bit better, manual dexterity slightly better. Given my trajectory before treatment, this change in my quality of life and outlook is pretty darn wonderful. It's not a miracle because it just makes common sense that improving drainage from the brain will help at least some symptoms. But guess what: if there was a drug that made this much difference to my life, it would be marketed as a miracle drug.

No comments:

Post a Comment