Monday, October 11, 2010

Give Thanks... and Get Going

There are a lot of things to be grateful for this Thanksgiving and one of them, of course, is that I've been treated for CCSVI (by the most experienced team in the world) and all my blood seems to be flowing right (according to the clinic in Canada that is most capable of assessing me).  I've had some improvements (much more energy, a bit more strength and balance, a bit more dexterity)... so where do I go from here?

In my opinion, the best thing for me to do is to continue working hard with my physiotherapist and my exercise program in order to make the most I can of what I have.  Some of my muscles have atrophied quite a bit over the last few years as my mobility went downhill, and I'm going to work hard to try to build them up again.  Will it work?  Nobody knows, but it's highly unlikely that I'll improve much (if any) if I don't work at it.

That's true of anyone who is getting "liberated": having the treatment will, hopefully, stop the damage from proceeding, but we don't know if the neural damage will ever reverse itself and the treatment certainly will not, by itself, undo muscle atrophy.

Time to start the long, slow process of rehabilitation.

No comments:

Post a Comment