Tuesday, September 18, 2012

The view from here...

I've just taken my first dose of fampyra, a drug that may help my walking. The first few days may be a bit tough (dizziness, etc), but was advised that if the side effects aren't too severe (things like difficulty breathing and seizures), then I should tough it through for a couple of weeks until the benefits show up... if they do. So I decided not to do my swimming tonight, since a pool isn't a great place to have seizures or breathing difficulties. Other things about fampyra: it MUST be taken on a completely empty stomach and it MUST be taken exactly every twelve hours (so as to reduce the risk of those seizures). The "exactly every 12 hours" things sounds simple enough until you actually start trying to figure out the best time to do this for every day of the week. I did try another drug recommended by my neurologist, Baclofen, for my spasticity, but one half of a tiny little pill caused me to be dizzy the whole next day so I stopped that. I hope it wasn't just a flukey 24 hour bug that hit at the same time because my spasticity is certainly getting worse and it would be nice to have something to help with that. So now I wait for the side effects...

No comments:

Post a Comment