Monday, December 19, 2016

Fampyra

I'm trying out the drug Fampyra, which is intended to help with walking. Apparently it helps about half the MSers that try it. I've been on it for three weeks. I did a walking test before I started the drug, then another one today. These are the results:

  • At my preferred walking speed, my pre-Fampyra times averaged 20.5 seconds, while my time after three weeks on the drug was 13.3 seconds.
  • At my fastest safe walking speed, my pre-Fampyra times averaged 16.5 seconds, while my time after three weeks on the drug was 10.8 seconds.
It appears that Fampyra is another drug I'll be on. There may have been some side-effects the first week (perhaps a little more fatigue and stomach upset), but those symptoms are so changeable that it's hard to tell if it was a reaction to the Fampyra.

As a side note, Fampyra may be helping a little with my ability to lift my lower leg using my hamstrings while on my stomach (or, perhaps, stopping my quads from kicking in while trying to use my hamstrings). At physio last week I had better results for that exercise than I'd had in a year.

No comments:

Post a Comment