Thursday, January 1, 2015

Grass, Baclofen, Wild Turkey, Sleeping

It's been over 8 months since I started taking medical marijuana for pain and to help me sleep. I've rarely taken the daytime stuff (22% THC, 1% CBD), but every night I vaporize a small dose of the night-time version (9% THC, 9.5% CBD). Lately, I seem to have gotten my bed-time routine right: two zopiclone (sleeping pills) about 1 to 2 hours before I intend to sleep, and then a dose of marijuana 15 minutes before sleep (it takes about 10 minutes to vape it). I haven't had a sleepless night for a month, almost always falling asleep between 1 and 2 AM. There have been times, though, when the residual discomfort or small pain in my incision site have also caused me to take a good stiff drink of Wild Turkey (bourbon whiskey). While the grass takes the edge off the pain, it sometimes isn't enough if I'm not too sleepy, and the whiskey quickly dulls pain and makes me sleepier. It's very short relief, but usually enough to get me to fall asleep, and then I sleep all night.

Just before my infection, I had stopped taking my baclofen because I thought that might be what was making me feel week and tired. Now I'm back up to 4 a day to help resolve my night leg spasms that were coming back. I may even go up to 5 and see if that works better.

By the way, after a lifetime of sleeping on my stomach, during my hospital stay I learned to sleep on my side. In the mornings my lower back arthritis is much better than it used to be, and I'm sure that sleeping positions have a lot to do with it. Now if I can just find the right combination of head and body pillows to keep my spine straight, I'll bet I'll be able to reduce the pain even more.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Ted, it was great to catch up on you via your blog. A tough year, but 2015 sounds like it is going to be a lot better.

    I love hearing about your Cannabis journey. I might relent and give it a go. Didn't enjoy it in my university days and that has kept me off trying it, but it does sound like I should!

    I will be starting Lemtrada very soon now. A big decision, but I think the right one. Although I have been spms for a couple of years, there is no reason not to be hopeful even if it is a RRMS treatment.

    I trust Mary is well and although Lorna and I have not made it Fredericton as we had hoped, we may still and will come looking for you.

    Best

    Paul

    ReplyDelete